One of my resolutions for this year is avoiding preservatives and unnecessary additives in our home consumption.
And it brings me to search for homemade version one of our favorite canned food.
红曲米/ angkak / fermented red yeast rice for red food coloring (no chemical involved)
Finally, I came up with my own version after reading all those resourceful links.
Here’s how I cooked our homemade corned beef.
- 1/2 kg beef (silverside or leg) – depending on your choice* ( I used leg part for this recipe)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seed, grind
- 2 Tbsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp red fermented rice ( 红曲米) for coloring, grind
- 2 Tbsp coriander, grind
- 3 cups of water
- 1 Tbsp white rice vinegar
- a dab of unsalted butter
- Mix all the ingredients and put in the pressure cooker on low heat for 30 mins.
- Turn off the stove afterwards, let it sit on the stove for another 30 mins with the lid still closed.
- Sauteed a dab of unsalted butter on a frying pan, put the corned beef also the sauce, and add some sea salt to taste.
- Turn the meat upside down for a while until the sauce thicken.
- The corned beef is ready to serve.
* silverside meat tend to have meaty texture, otherwise leg part will make chewy, jelly-like corned.